178 rsj - fitting joists at a vertical offset

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm having a 178 x 102 rsj (160 x 45 internal web) fitted to support an existing wall and want the existing joists (50 x 150mm) to be attached slightly higher than the rsj.
The usual designs I've seen are where the joists rest on the rsj or the joists fit inside the rsj (sometimes with a nogging).

I would like the joint to be half way up the top of the rsj

I think possibly joist hangers may work to meet the scenario but I'm not sure. Is this possible ?
Above the rsj wil sit the wall so I cannot bend the hanger staps over the rsj to make a fixing on the other side.
See image of what I'm trying to achive when I refer to offset. Thanks

upload_2021-12-14_0-24-4.png

Sponsored Links
Fill out the webs with timber regardless, i.e. have M12 holes drilled along the web centre then fix timber into the webs. You may have to use build-in hangars depending how much meat of the hangar is fixable by the timber surface (regards jiffys).
A build in fella could also be supplementary fixed to the timber infill.

Last edited:
Screw or bolt some timber packing on the bottom flange and notch the top part of the joists.

Attachments

• Handwritten_2021-12-14_092300.pdf
    181.1 KB · Views: 113
Sponsored Links
...... if you want to load the bottom flange and weaken the joist bearing capacity o_O

The weight of a domestic floor will hardly impact on the strength of the bottom flange.

The joist would be perfectly ok, even cut down to 75mm.

The only considerations for joists in a domestic setting at the bearing are 1. shear and 2. bearing capacity perpendicular to the grain.

Neither of these would be a problem in this particular case.

Screw or bolt some timber packing on the bottom flange and notch the top part of the joists.
I suspect the existing dimensions will preclude that possibility.
Hi, I'm having a 178 x 102 rsj (160 x 45 internal web) fitted to support an existing wall and want the existing joists (50 x 150mm) to be attached slightly higher than the rsj.
The usual designs I've seen are where the joists rest on the rsj or the joists fit inside the rsj (sometimes with a nogging).

I would like the joint to be half way up the top of the rsj

I think possibly joist hangers may work to meet the scenario but I'm not sure. Is this possible ?
Above the rsj wil sit the wall so I cannot bend the hanger staps over the rsj to make a fixing on the other side.
See image of what I'm trying to achive when I refer to offset. Thanks

View attachment 254181

The weight of a domestic floor will hardly impact on the strength of the bottom flange.

The joist would be perfectly ok, even cut down to 75mm.

The only considerations for joists in a domestic setting at the bearing are 1. shear and 2. bearing capacity perpendicular to the grain.

Neither of these would be a problem in this particular case.
But why would you want to do it your suggested way, which is by definition bad practice, when there are better ways, orthodox ways, which are no more difficult or costly? It makes no sense.

But why would you want to do it your suggested way, which is by definition bad practice, when there are better ways, orthodox ways, which are no more difficult or costly? It makes no sense.
It isn't 'bad practice'; notching to this extent is allowed by BS 5268 and can be proved quantitively. You are allowed a higher shear stress when the notch is at the top of the beam. And it saves the cost and faffing about with hangers.

No it's a last resort option, not first or even second or third choice. Last.

No it's a last resort option, not first or even second or third choice. Last.
If it works perectly well structurally (which can be proved) and avoids the cost of hangers, why should it be a 'last resort option'?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back