Removing wall lamps and putting in fitted furniture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed the lamps and am planning on securing display cabinets where they were, preventing access to the wiring. I'm aware that the wiring must remain easily accessible as connector strips have been used. These wall lamps are downstairs and all the wires come down vertically to where they are.

Neither of the wall lamps are at the end of the radial circuit.

As far as I'm aware, I have 2 options:

1) Remove the switched live wires and the wiring specific to the wall lamps, lift the upstairs floorboards and make a secure soldered connection which can safely be left without access. Then I can fill the holes as no wires would be there.

2) Disconnect the switch lived wiring, leave the wall lamp wiring in the wall but create a secure soldered connection between the other lights in the circuit at this point. Cover with a blank wall plate and install the fitted furniture.

I would prefer to do 2 now and 1 at a later date. There are old fitted wardrobes upstairs over the floorboards I'd need to lift and it'll be a pain to get access.

Is this okay? Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Do you need to isolate the wall lamp outlets? If they are already in a backing box just put a cover on the box and fit Wago connectors to the ends of the wires. If just wires through the wall, make a slim surface box and do as above. Safe and means you can easily resurrect the points in the future. Alternatively do this and use as a source for lighting within the display cabinet.

In the last 10 years I have never found the need to solder domestic electrical wiring.

Use an MF connector, like the Wago. They are made for it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back