Earth connection to metal wall light fittings

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to take down a (new) wall lamp fitting today because the halogen lamp had blown and when I removed it for replacement one of the terminals, along with a piece of broken glass, was stuck in situ and I couldn't remove it whilst attached to the wall.

Having done that, I was shocked (not literally, of course - I had flipped the circuit breaker) to find that the metal fitting was not earthed. Worried, I removed the other two wall lights to find that they were earthed, but the earth wire in each was fastened to a wall screw securing the fixing bracket.

I'm not sure whether I did the right thing, but I connected an earth wire for each fitting to the flange (with an earth symbol) provided behind the main body of the fitting. I hope I did the right thing. I'm sure somebody will tell me if not!

Obviously an unearthed metal light fitting is inexcusable (perhaps he forgot to connect it!), but is it acceptable to attach the earth wire to the wall bracket, as he did in the other two fittings?

Sponsored Links
The problem with fitting the earth/CPC to the mounting bracket is once the fitting is removed from it's mounting, continuity is lost, but saying that when removing covers isolation should have taken place. Also you are reliant on the fixing screws of fitting and bracket to give continuity.
If the fitting had an earth symbol on it, you did the correct thing by introducing the earth/CPC to the fitting.
Not all metal fittings require an earth, some are rated as double insulated and continuity to earth can be omitted.

I'm not sure whether I did the right thing, but I connected an earth wire for each fitting to the flange (with an earth symbol) provided behind the main body of the fitting.

Usually, fittings requiring an earth have a terminal for the earth wires. If continuity is required to other parts there is usually a fly-lead connected between the main earth terminal and the part (s) needing earth continuity.

Sponsored Links
Usually, fittings requiring an earth have a terminal for the earth wires. If continuity is required to other parts there is usually a fly-lead connected between the main earth terminal and the part (s) needing earth continuity.

Thanks SP. I can't remember looking when we bought them. They may have had a block with earth lead attached. Whether or not, there is a clearly marked flange though.

The problem with fitting the earth/CPC to the mounting bracket is once the fitting is removed from it's mounting, continuity is lost, but saying that when removing covers isolation should have taken place. Also you are reliant on the fixing screws of fitting and bracket to give continuity.

I'm glad I did the right thing. In practice, I would always turn off the switch before changing a lamp, but wouldn't normally flip the circuit breaker. I suppose I am assuming that the circuit is correctly wired and we all know that isn't always the case. Perhaps I'll flip the CB every time from now on! It doesn't take much effort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back