Earthing a new light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Is this light fitting earthed OK? The old light fitting was earthed using the same cable and method (i.e. chock to bracket).

2016-03-31 14.02.02.jpg

Out of the box the chock was screwed down to a small metal prong on the light fitting; this gives no maneuvering for connecting the cables and the final connecting up to the bracket.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
screwed down to a small metal prong on the light fitting
The prime need is to earth the light fitting and that is why the supplied earth terminal was screwed down to the prong on the fitting. Earthing just the bracket and not the prong cannot ensure the light fitting has an adequate earth since it would rely on the light fitting making good contact with the bracket

Do what you have done to earh the bracket but also add a second earth lead from the terminal block in the picture to the terminal screwed to the prong in the light fitting.

No. The CPC(earth wire) should be connected to the light.

Use another connector block screwed to the prong.

Thanks for replies. I have done as suggested and earthed the cable to the prong by a connector block (with hindsight make a lot more sense). All working fine.

Sponsored Links
Earthing just the bracket and not the prong cannot ensure the light fitting has an adequate earth since it would rely on the light fitting making good contact with the bracket
Worse than that - it also relies on the screw into the ceiling making good contact with the bracket.

Do what you have done to earh the bracket but also add a second earth lead from the terminal block in the picture to the terminal screwed to the prong in the light fitting.
I wouldn't bother earthing the bracket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back