Wiring in Wall lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.. Hoping someone can help.

I would like to wire in a new wall light purchased from Focus.

Wires - Wall - Brown Blue and Earth All attached to plastic junction box (3 holes with screws etc)

Light - Metal body and metal bracket (to fix to wall)
- Light has Brown Blue and earth wires
- metal fixing bracket has earth wire connected with screw fitting to the wall bracket.

I have (turned electric off). attached wall bracket and connected Blue to Blue, Brown to brown and Earth of light to earth of cable coming out of wall... All via the plastic junction box Light works!! yippee (but attached light to bracket and it doesn't work... )

Connected Earth from wall Bracket to earth (from Light) in plastic box and it doesn't work

Connected Earth from wall Bracket to earth (from wall cable) in plastic box and it doesn't work. (Earth cable from light is still connnected to plastic box)

Taken off earth from wall bracket and not connected it to anything (covered with insulation tape) and light works, but as soon as you put the light onto the bracket it stops working.

In all instances the earth from Wall cable is in the box and the earth from the light is in the box.. I just can't understand why it is not working.. Where should the earth from the wall bracket be connected to???

Hope the above makes sense, I am sure it is something simple and I just can't understand why it does work.. surely if all the right colourd cables are connected to the same colour cables it should work.. and the light does work cause it works when the Earth from teh wall bracket is not connected to the wires ( I know it needs to be connected) as soon as the light is fixed to the bracket it trips the lectrics..

HELLLLPPPPPP

Sponsored Links
you have got a damadged bit of cable or the cable is being crushed and trapped whan you fix it two the wall

Sponsored Links
How are you keeping Simon? Not seen you knocking about the place much recently :D

I did think the light could be faulty, But would it be the earth wire from the wall bracket that is broken??

Also which is the correct way or should it not matter which side I connect the bracket earth wire? i.e. connect in the same hole (plastic box) as the wall earth wire or the light earth wire? I have some other wire that I coudl make a new Bracket earth?? The wires in teh Earth connected to the bracket are a bit frayed.. thought this might be the issue, but couldn't see how a faulty earth is going to stop the light from working??

Do I get an electrician in to try and then see that the light is faulty.. Gonna cost a lot for a £15 light...

How are you keeping Simon? Not seen you knocking about the place much recently :D

I'll be fine once I get to see some pictures.... ;)

No, I'm OK, just busy with work & 3 kids...I'm sure you know how it is!

Fatigue is getting the better of me lately!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back