Outside wall light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Currently I have an outside wall light with a PIR detection . I want to change the light as it's cheap looking and plastic cover
I have removed the cover of the light and discovered 4 cables. Brown into the brown on the light, Grey with a blue sleeve on into the blue on the light, the earth is just into a connection box but no earth on the light and finally a black cable just cut off and not connected to anything.
My new light isn't PIR and I want to be able to switch it on so it stays on It has 3 slots on the connector obviously Blue N, Brown L and Earth.
Can I just connect the grey with the blue sleeve into Blue N, Brown into Brown L connect the Earth cable and leave the black alone as it is now ?
As it's outside do I need it checked afterwards or to inform anyone?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you have a switch that controls the light ? If so, wire it as you described. Put the unused black into an insulated terminal block that can sit loose inside the light fittings base.

Hi, yes I have a switch controlling the light now.
Thank you I'll follow your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back