Installing a light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to install a new light fitting and my earth wire is not long enough to reach the terminal connector block attached to the light fitting - the live and neutral are fine.

A metal bracket is screwed into the ceiling which holds the light up (the light is a metal gu10 spotlight type)

I've looked at YouTube videos and some indicate that I might be able to earth the light by connecting the earth to the metal bracket - is that correct?

If so, how safe is it?!

If not does anyone know a solution to the short wire problem?!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've looked at YouTube videos and some indicate that I might be able to earth the light by connecting the earth to the metal bracket - is that correct?
It's doubtful that the fitting screws would give a satisfactory connection.

Just extend the wire with a connector block.

You can either crimp the old and new cable together or connect the old an new with a connector block.

Thanks for the reply.

Would a connector block be the same as a 'terminal strip' ?

If so I notice from looking online they come in different amp ratings, what would be required?

My presumption if the above is correct is that live and neutral would go straight to the light fitting and the earth would go into a single terminal strip, out of the other side with more earth cable and into the light fitting - correct?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Would a connector block be the same as a 'terminal strip' ?
Yes, but only one isn't a strip. :)

If so I notice from looking online they come in different amp ratings, what would be required?
You only need the smallest - 5A - so any would do.

My presumption if the above is correct is that live and neutral would go straight to the light fitting and the earth would go into a single terminal strip, out of the other side with more earth cable and into the light fitting - correct?
Yes.

Excellent. Thanks for your help

I'll do it tomorrow and hopefully report back that I've not electrocuted myself!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back