Earthing a Vintage Light Fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a vintage 3 lamp light fitting which is fitted with unearthed metal lamp holders and i'd like to rewire it The problem i'm finding is that I cannot find 3 core cable narrow enough to go through the central brass suspension tube. The present wiring consists of six individual cables(2 to each lamp) each of which appear to only have single insulation I don't think as things are that it will be possible to run any extra cabling to earth the actual lampholders themselves and was wondering if it would be acceptable to fit an earthing tab to the main brass tube where it screws into the ceiling hook (thus earthing the complete fitting in one go ) and connect the earth that way, There would appear to be continuity from that point through to the lamp holders. I'd appreciate any advice on this but not too technical please!!

Sponsored Links
Have seen many fittings where each individual lampholder isn't individually earthed, just the entire fitting. A crimped lug or tag is sometimes fitted to stem of the fitting with a lock nut.

Ensure you have full continuity through the fitting to allow you to earth it in one place.

Also ensure all metalwork forming the fitting is securely tightened.

Remember that if there is a chain on the fitting between the ceiling mounting and the main body of the fitting, this CANNOT be relied upon to provide an earth.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back