Earth for steampunky Coughtrie metal lamp

Could be. I tried the multimeter on the inside of the stem aswell, but nothing there either. If anodising is a bath treatment I guess it's on the inside aswell.

Sponsored Links
20201031_094006.jpg

And here's the post before I drilled into it....
20201028_171614.jpg
[See how the photo has showed that my earth wires are exposed and not in the crimp! Couldn't see that even with my glasses on.

Red crimp should really have been used and as you say the insulation should be under the first half of the crimp.
I used to like them corner fittings, you often see them on old buildings being demolished which is a shame.
Do you have the glass

Did you Test probe inside the threaded holes used for the lampholder, or on, or between the screw heads and your new earth screw.

One final concern how have you restrained the flex from pulling on the lampholder connections

Otherwise looks good :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks. I'll do the crimp again... and get some new glasses!

Yes I have got the glass. But it's misted badly in places. It's used to fill with water. I might try soaking it in vinegar in case that helps. But the lamp, on its new jaunty angle makes the glass looks weird. I prefer a bare bulb.

Actually I'm finding it hard to find a bulb I like. I'd like a nice neat 2200k 2w or 3w. All I find are bulbous monstrosities. I'm wondering if there's a way to attach a g9 lampholder or a gu10 onto the 2 screws on the lamp?

Yes there is continuity between plug and crimp lug/screw. But no continuity in the lamp body even with the probes cm apart.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back