Class 1 light fitting query

Oooooh. I must remember that. :)
I think when we are told something by someone who discovered it whilst undertaking an EICR, I think we probably have much more reason to believe that it's probably true than if it came from a DIYer!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
You may very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment.
Well, very few things in the world are certainties (death and taxes being amongst the few!) but when an electrician tells me that a fitting has no earth terminal, I'm pretty inclined to believe them!

Kind Regards, John

as for previous inspections they failed to pick up on missing water bond

I have been guilty of that, I'm afraid. I looked in all the places I could get to and could not find a bond.

There was one, in the back of the airing cupboard, almost hidden out of view behind the cyl.

Wasn't where I expected to find it, so I missed it.

Sponsored Links
We do a lot of pub work and seen a few with no earth terminal, usually there threaded, so I assume were desighned to screw onto an assembly thats earthed elsewhere.
They tend to date back possibly pre 70's
On the many earthed holders we find blown out, the actual wire had burnt and shorted to the brass base, so regardless of the insert being ceramic, the space inside is so tight, it would not hard for that case to become live

Quite a debate :), just to clarify - definitely no earth terminal on lamp holder which is brass with a plastic/porcelain insert and of proprietary manufacture , the brass shade is in two parts which sort of clip together the flex passes through a gland arrangement on the top half, wish I had taken a pic

I have been guilty of that, I'm afraid. I looked in all the places I could get to and could not find a bond.

There was one, in the back of the airing cupboard, almost hidden out of view behind the cyl.

Wasn't where I expected to find it, so I missed it.

To be fair it should be visible, in this case the kitchen / toilet backed on to the mains position and is the only part of the church that has water (font excepted )

Isn't it possible for a brass lamp holder to be Class 2?

If there is no earth terminal how would a CPC be connected?

Presumably old brass lampholders, from the days where lighting circuits weren't usually earthed, may not have earth terminals.

Presumably old brass lampholders, from the days where lighting circuits weren't usually earthed, may not have earth terminals.

I seem to remember one place i worked had a box of brass lampholders in the store and many were without earth terminals

The trouble with following up on a shoite report that misses issues is that the church warden will wonder why all of a sudden the stuff that "passed" has now failed.
Remind them that before the Ten Commandments were published, it was OK to covet thy neighbour's wife.

I seem to remember one place i worked had a box of brass lampholders in the store and many were without earth terminals
Yes, I've dismantled many, many old light fittings which had brass lampholders without an earth terminal.

Yes, I've dismantled many, many old light fittings which had brass lampholders without an earth terminal.
I suppose that in the days when the lighting circuits were very often without CPCs, there wasn't a lot of call for 'earth terminals'?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back