Class 1 light fitting query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have carried out an EICR on a church, amongst many issues are the pendants hanging from the beams above the pews, they consist of a brass lamp holder with a brass shade through which the flex passes, there is no earth terminal and the flex is two core, my opinion is that these are class one, but they have passed muster on several inspections by other NICEIC firms.

Sponsored Links
Sounds as Class 1 as it can get, though possibly acceptable when first installed, though not now.

Are the flexes sheathed, or are they old twisted singles?

Sponsored Links
The trouble with following up on a shoite report that misses issues is that the church warden will wonder why all of a sudden the stuff that "passed" has now failed. It is awkward to explain this to the customer.

Guess there are no definitive stickers, labels or markings that show which Class the fitting is?

That was my concern, I did not want to fail them without a second opinion, there are no labels etc, as I said they look like a cobbled together unit and fairly old, as for previous inspections they failed to pick up on missing water bond

Isn't it possible for a brass lamp holder to be Class 2?

If there is no earth terminal how would a CPC be connected?

Isn't it possible for a brass lamp holder to be Class 2?
As you know, it is indeed possible - which I presume is why the question was asked. Everything depends upon what is underneath the brass.
If there is no earth terminal how would a CPC be connected?
It has been suggested that the fitting is 'home made'. If so, the absence of a provided means of connecting a CPC certainly would not be an indication that it didn't require earthing!

Kind Regards, John

Well, "cobbled together" was the term used.

I presume the lampholder part is not 'home made'.

Well, "cobbled together" was the term used.
That term was indeed used, but previoulsy what had been said was ...
Sheathed, looks like a home made fitting, I think the last inspection was a drive by.
I presume the lampholder part is not 'home made'.
I would presume that, too - and if that is the case, presumably the brass 'lampholder part' will have provision for connecting an earth. It's the brass shade which may well not have provision for connecting an earth - although, when assembled, it would presumably be in electrical continuity with the brass lampholder, and therefore might not require a separate earth connection (if, that is, the lampholder were earthed!!).

Having said all that, I don't think I've ever seen a 'Class II brass lampholder' - have you??

Kind Regards, John

I have not seen one without a CPC terminal.
Nor have I - taht was my point.
I suppose the innards could be plastic or ceramic.
Theoretically possible, I suppose, but there's not much space within a lampholder to get adequate insulation between the innards and the brass, is there? I certainly have never seen such an animal.

Kind Regards, John

You're probably right but we haven't seen the item in question - perhaps there is a terminal for a CPC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back