Fitting New Light (with 3 flexes)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just bought a new light fitting which actually consists of three individual pendant lamps which need to be individually wired (i.e. it is basically three hanging lights which are fixed to a ceiling plate).

The existing light fitting is the standard plastic ceiling rose (new property) with two circuit cables and one for the switch. The new light fitting has not come pre-wired but included a small Ashley 20amp junction box - this is nowhere near big enough to connect the three light flexes and three circuit cables.

I was thinking about just getting some terminal connectors and wiring all the three light flexes/circuit cables together and then enclosing them in a choc box. Within the base plate/ceiling rose which came with the light there is about 30mm of space so was hoping I could place the choc box into this space.

Alternatively, if there isn't enough space for the choc box within the light fitting, would I need to put a junction box in the ceiling void and run the three flexes into this? The only problem is getting access to the void without lifting the boards in the room above - so was hoping that the terminal connectors/choc box is an acceptable solution?

Any advice on the above would be very much appreciated. If I was to use terminal connectors, would any size be okay as long as a minimum of 5 amp was used?

Perhaps I need to get a spark to do the above but would still be interested in any advice.

Many thanks as ever,

Damian

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't use a choc box seeing as the plate will be covering the choc blocs, and yes 5A choc blocs

Breezer,

Thanks for the quick response - there will be no issues using a slightly larger blocks to accommodate all the wires? The three flexes will be feeding G9 halogens.

Going slightly off topic, what are the differences between using terminal connections and junction boxes for lighting. Is it that junction boxes are sealed for when being installed into a cavity and more suitable to extending a circuit, etc.

Sorry for the additional question but very interested to know whats what from a Regs point of view.

Many thanks again,

Damian

HI, a junction box (I guess you mean the round type with a screw in the middle of the lid) can only be installed in a place that it can be inspected according to the regs. In fact the only joint in the regs that you can use with out leaving an inspection point is inline crimps. I would never use these in my house!

Sponsored Links
thefriendfamily, you are a "bit late", he only asked in February 2007 :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back