Flex inside light fixture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing a standard lamp fixture and ceiling rose with a halogen light fixture. The current is on a loop and the light is 2-way switched - lots of wires. The new light fitting comes with a choc block already attached, however as it is a 5A block, I can't get the the three wires into the terminal of the block. Therefore, I've going to connect two of the wire in an intermediate choc block and then connect this to the choc block in the fitting. Space is already limited inside the fixture so I have used flex wire, i.e. multiple stranded wire, to connect the intermediate choc block to the final terminal block. Would there be anything wrong with this?

On a related point, I'm a little confused about the colours of the wires on the existing ceiling rose. The house is brand new and so uses harmonised colours. However, I was surprised to see a grey wire connect to the neutral terminal of the ceiling rose. I have transferred the connections to the corresponding one on the new light fitting and everything works fine. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Sponsored Links
I have used flex wire, i.e. multiple stranded wire, to connect the intermediate choc block to the final terminal block. Would there be anything wrong with this?

Be better if you could get rid of one of the choc blocks, but it will be ok.

I'm a little confused about the colours of the wires on the existing ceiling rose. The house is brand new and so uses harmonised colours. However, I was surprised to see a grey wire connect to the neutral terminal of the ceiling rose.

The grey wire to neutral is correct, but it should have a blue sleeve. The reason grey is used (even if a black wire is available) is to educate people that black is no longer used as a neutral.
Many thanks for your help & for the info RE the grey wiring! My main concern was using flex wiring - the same stuff you get in appliance cables.
Can anyone shed some light on this?

Very funny :rolleyes:
Sorry, couldn't resist!

Sponsored Links
As long as the wire is the same size or bigger than the wire from the light fitting it will be ok.
I just snipped off some of the wire from the existing pendant light that I was replacing - so I hope that it's the right size!

Thanks again.

The grey wire to neutral is correct, but it should have a blue sleeve. The reason grey is used (even if a black wire is available) is to educate people that black is no longer used as a neutral.

No such Regulation. That is simply NICEIC policy for "deneutralisation" of black. It is equally correct to use a black core and sleeve it blue.

So long as it is correctly identified, e.g. with sleeving, then it complies.

No such Regulation. That is simply NICEIC policy for "deneutralisation" of black. It is equally correct to use a black core and sleeve it blue.

So long as it is correctly identified, e.g. with sleeving, then it complies.
Well this one didn't have a sleeve, it was simply grey. Looks like I'll have to take the fixture down and fit a blue sleeve. Wonderful!

Indeed it was NICEIC who stated that using grey for neutral would drive away the use of black for neutral.

There is a more logical reason for this, especially if you look at three phase

The old 3 phase standard was

L1 = red
L2 = yellow
L3= blue

Neutral (if used) = black

the harmonised colours are
L1 = brown
L2 = black
L3= grey

Neutral (if used) = blue

There's no regulation on which should be used for which in lighting circuits but the conductors should be sleeved to indicate their actual useage.

Brown = live (or may be live eg in a switched circuit)
Blue = neutral

etc

edit Yes I know live = line = phase = hot

No such Regulation.

Where did I say it was a regulation?

Seems you're only here to start arguments, can't you find a pedants forum then you'll have loads of people to argue with.

I'm not here to start arguments. I simply think any suggestion that using grey rather than black oversleeved blue is somehow "better practise" is unhelpful and misleading. I'm not trying to suggest that this was your intention.

It is equally good practise to use either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back