Simple Wiring for Lighting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have three cables coming into my upstairs lighting ceiling roses.
I would like to convert these to the simple one wire solution so there's just one Neutral, one switched Live and a earth.
Is it best to use a junction box, choc box, or strip connector and insulate with tape.

If junction box is best how many ways should I use and what amp rating?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is there access from above?
Don't use chock block and tape it up - yuk!

Yes - Loft is above.

I plan to tackle this tomorrow, I may as well do all my upstairs lights whilst I'm in the loft.

What rating of JB should I use?

5A for a normal 5A lighting circuit however for what it is worth you may as well use a 20A one and give yourself a bit of room. You'll probably need the 4 terminal one if you have 3 x twin and earths in there - note which one is which before you disconnect. One will be the cable to the switch.

Sponsored Links
Am I missing something here?? The fittings are 3 plated now, and for some reason you want to change this standard arrangement for jb's and chockstrip?

Why, if it's working already does it need fixing??

A lot of the fancy fittings don't have much room in them to do the terminations, pita with 3 cables in there.

Am I missing something here?? The fittings are 3 plated now, and for some reason you want to change this standard arrangement for jb's and chockstrip?

Why, if it's working already does it need fixing??

Most new fancy light fittings have only three connection terminals - L.N.E

Before I board the loft i'm gonna future proof them and save myself hassle in the future if I even change from the standard ceiling pennants.

Just remount the ceiling roses at a convenient position in the loft with a flex down to the fitting, you don't need any junction boxes.

Are you planning to ride off into the sunset with our beloved soon to be ex-president?

Is Bonanza your favourite theme tune?

Thats a totally crap way of doing it. The existing pendant fittings are not suitable for that.

The existing wires go into the base of the pendant fitting. What did you have in mind, just leave them laying loose under his newly boarded loft?
What about the requirement for strain relief on the cables?

TTC.. I can see where you're coming from. However, strain relief (I guess you're talking the flex here) could be provided by the rose, and by using 3 core flex, you have a cpc, too. Secure the rose, though.

This would be acceptable, surely? Maybe not usual, but acceptable nonetheless?

Most new fancy light fittings have only three connection terminals - L.N.E

Before I board the loft i'm gonna future proof them and save myself hassle in the future if I even change from the standard ceiling pennants

Ah - that makes sense! I was tired from a longer day at the electrical grindstone that I wanted yesterday. I suppose that a rose buried under the floor is better than some of the taped up chockstrip (or not taped up usually) that I see a lot of, but I'd go the JB route personally.

TTC.. I can see where you're coming from. However, strain relief (I guess you're talking the flex here) could be provided by the rose, and by using 3 core flex, you have a cpc, too. Secure the rose, though.

This would be acceptable, surely? Maybe not usual, but acceptable nonetheless?

I was talking anout the three (maybe more) fixed wiring cables that go into the existing pendants. The pendant itself would need to be screwed to a joist and the cables come out of the base, not the sides.
Otherwise it will look like this:

The cables themselves need to be secured (clipped) and
The outer covering of the cables will need to be inside the pendant.

Its not impossible to do that with the pendant but it would be a real hassle.

He's going to have to disconnect the old penndant fitting to remove it and then take it into the loft to re=teminate. I dont see the point of saving 50p by not using the correct terminal box.

Otherwise it will look like this:
A fine piece of work TTC, well done.

;)

I dont see the point of saving 50p by not using the correct terminal box.
A bit more than that, but he's only got 3 to do, so why not use something ideally designed?

ASJ501X.JPG

Ban All Sheds, What are these called? I will get some of them they look the part.

Many Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back