Class II Light fitting query.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

My Grandad asked me round to put up some pendants he had bought. Seen here.

As you can see they are metal and class 2. He has a loop in lighting system so I used terminal block to connect the appropriate wires. The PN for the lamp connect in a small contained terminal block in a small white housing. So I was happy that this surficed the double insulation.

What concerned me was that there was nowhere in the ceiling to put the terminal blocks (loop/neutral/cpc) I had to leave these in the ceiling rose part of the light fitting (which is metal like the rest of the fitting). I am no expert but I can't imagine this is anywhere near double insulation. There is no option to connect a CPC so worries me this is potentially dangerous.

Unfortunately I didnt bring the installation instructions home, only the above piece (because I needed to order a new lamp diffuser that was broken in the box). On this is does say "g) If it is not possible to fit excess cable into ceiling void, cut the cable, prepare wires and reconnect into terminal block."
So are they assuming that it has to be wired in the feed to switch (I believe thats what its called) method for their instructions to apply.

Im hoping I've made this clear. To make this safe I guess I need to connect a CPC somehow. Do you think its worth a call to the manufacturer to ask advice.

Thanks for your help,
Chris

edit: changed image location.

Sponsored Links
Is it just me who got a "score with real girls" window after clicking on that image? :eek:

I'm sorry if you did. It works when I click it. Is there any more reliable web hosting elsewhere?

I use photobucket, but there is also a facility to upload photos directly onto the DIYnot server.

When you click on post a reply and the reply box page comes up, there is an option straight under the white box that you type in to "Upload New Images". click on that and hopefully all will be revealed.

Sponsored Links
Johnny, it 'claims' to be classII in the advert, but you know I'm wondering as well. Metal fitting like that to be classII you would expect a transformer wouldn't you??

Johnny, it 'claims' to be classII in the advert, but you know I'm wondering as well. Metal fitting like that to be classII you would expect a transformer wouldn't you??

No. How did you know what the advert said?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back