Removing a wall mounted lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. In the spare bedroom, there is a wall-mounted spotlight. Basically we would like to remove it. When we do, I just need to know whether the course of action below is safe:

1) Switch off power
2) Remove lamp
3) Put tape round bare wire
4) Polyfiller the hole in the wall.

Thanks !

Sponsored Links
bathroomswap said:
I just need to know whether the course of action below is safe:

No.

This is a wind-up, isn't it? You should be ashamed of yourself.

No you should not carry out 3 and 4 of your proposal.

Ideally you need to identify where the cable supplying the wall light is fed from and disconnect at source rendering the whole cable dead.

If you cannot achieve this I would personally terminate the end of the cable into a flush mounted 5 amp socket. Not the most asthetically pleasing finish but it will identify that there are live cables in the zones around the socket.

There are other options but you need to ensure that any future occupier is aware of live cables in area if you cannot achieve complete isolation.

1) Switch off power

Good Idea ;)

2) Remove lamp

another good idea ;)

3) Put tape round bare wire

Really bad idea :eek: With the power still off trace the cable back and try to disconnect it and remove it completely. If thats not possible, cut it off either in the loft or under the floor boards and terminate it into some kind of junction box. You may need to remove the cable from the switch but without knowing more I cant comment

4) Polyfiller the hole in the wall.

;)

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
bathroomswap said:
I just need to know whether the course of action below is safe:

No.

This is a wind-up, isn't it? You should be ashamed of yourself.

No, I'm not a tradesman, hence why I asked the question in order to seek advice before just ploughing on with what would have been a dangerous action. Thanks to those below who gave me such good and clear answers. I will stick a blank panel on the wall or a fused switch, as suggested.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back