Removing wall lights, isolating live wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies is this has been done to death...

I have a rented property, fitted with hideous wall lights. We are going to remove them and hang pictures in their place.

Because I can't tear the house apart removing the wiring, and also because I need to re install the wall lights when I leave, I was going to use these to make the live wires safe:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201295769522?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Once wires are secured in these junction boxes, they will be left hanging outside the wall (not plastered over) and pictures hung over to hide them.

Can somebody in the know confirm if this is all safe?

Thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
They're not the prettiest, but I guess that doesn't matter if you're going to put pictures in front of them.

From a safety perspective these should do as long as it is possible to blank off all of the entries apart from the single entry where the lighting cable goes in.
Most of these covers allow you to expose 1, 2, 3 or 4 entries but it's not clear whether that case will allow you to just have one entry - more than one means there's a way for errant fingers or other pokey-things to get into the box.

Finally, I suspect you should get the landlord's permission and you may have some liability issues.

Thanks for the reply. I don't deal directly with the landlord, but his maintenance guy responsible for the house has said it's OK.

If you can direct me to something neater and with only 1 access hole I'd really appreciate it, had a good search on google / ebay and this is the best I can find?

It's impossible to tell from the pic on ebay, and I had the same difficulty trying to peer at the pic on screwfix's site.

It's much clearer on B&Q's site, though; http://www.diy.com/departments/marbo-5a-4-terminal-white-junction-box/189648_BQ.prd

That clearly shows that it supports 2, 3 and 4 entries, not one (which makes sense for something labelled as a junction box!). By the way, screwfix and B&Q are owned by the same people so it's likely the same box on both sites.

B&Q also have this; http://www.diy.com/departments/mk-30a-3-terminal-white-junction-box/189593_BQ.prd - I can't tell whether it has two open ports, or whether one is a "breakable" port.

By the way, I wouldn't normally buy this kind of kit at B&Q but you're talking less than £2 for most of this stuff and the big benefit is that you can examine the items before you buy.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back