Removing wall lights

S

suetpudding

The wall lights in our living room for some reason have individual switches below them, just above the skirting boards.

We are considering removing them and Google tells me that often the wires need to be disconnected below the floorbooards in the room above the lights. Sorry if this is completely dense, but as our lights have individual switches below, is this likely to mean that an electrician wouldn't need to remove the flooring in the room above? We have solid wood floor above and I'd rather it not be disturbed if possible.

Sponsored Links
You would have to isolate the power and take a fitting and switch off to see if you can see where the cables go to.

Please bear in mind that the lights may have been wired off a socket circuit if the switches are at ground level.

Do you have a picture of the switches below the lights, they could be fuse connection units.
It could be possible to disconnect the wall lights and the feed to the switches below, if terminated safely (and that would depend on how the circuit is powered/configured) you could then simply replace the switch plates/FCUs, with blank plates. This would then mean you would not need to lift floor and possible restrict any increased damage to the wall.
It may also again if done correctly (and depending on configuration circuit), disconnect the power from it's source and remove wall lights, switches and backboxes and repair wall.

Would require a little further investigation by you and a reply, to offer more informed advice.
But if you don't feel confident in tracing cables, routes and doing the required testing to confirm findings (providing you have the approved test equipment) I would recommend you contact a competent electrician to perform these tasks.

Sponsored Links
If the switches at low level are indeed FCU's and they are wired off the socket circuit, you could replace them with sockets.

Can you post some pictures?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back