Removing wall separating downstairs toilet and kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

As the title suggests, I want to remove the wall separating the downstairs toilet and the kitchen in order to make one big kitchen space. The current downstairs toilet is just a single storey bit added to the end of the house by the previous occupants around 25 years ago, and we have stripped the toilet out and are in the process of having it placed in the pantry (Does this require building reg's approval?)

I have enclosed an image of what the existing/proposed ground floor will look like and have marked the main outside walls of the house using thick black lines.

Can you advise me as to whether I will need to contact building reg's in order to do this please? My builder, who's working on my extension of the dining room says that he can do it without it and he's done a good job so far and is not doing a shoddy job or anything.

I'm hoping that if I want to go through building reg's route, the guy who we are using (private approved inspector) for our dining room extension inspections will be able to sort out the notice etc.

plan1.jpg

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
The wall you are taking down is supporting the wall above it and almost certainly also supporting the floor of the room above the kitchen.

Altering the soil drainage will almost certainly require approval from building regs and maybe also planning permission.

Ventilation of the new toilet will need to be considered

Best advice is to talk to the building control office as soon as you can.

Hi everyone,

As the title suggests, I want to remove the wall separating the downstairs toilet and the kitchen in order to make one big kitchen space. The current downstairs toilet is just a single storey bit added to the end of the house by the previous occupants around 25 years ago, and we have stripped the toilet out and are in the process of having it placed in the pantry (Does this require building reg's approval?)

I have enclosed an image of what the existing/proposed ground floor will look like and have marked the main outside walls of the house using thick black lines.

Can you advise me as to whether I will need to contact building reg's in order to do this please? My builder, who's working on my extension of the dining room says that he can do it without it and he's done a good job so far and is not doing a shoddy job or anything.

I'm hoping that if I want to go through building reg's route, the guy who we are using (private approved inspector) for our dining room extension inspections will be able to sort out the notice etc.

plan1.jpg

Thanks

Steve

I believe you do need to talk to Building Control and that they will want to inspect the work as you are altering an supporting wall and there will be issues around drainage. This will be in your interest to contact them as they can sign the work off when it's finished and this can be included in the HIP when you sell the house. It will reassure a buyer that the work was done to standard.

wouldn't it be easier to just extend the kitchen into the pantry instead.. no drains moved, no load bearing walls removed ( unless the pantry wall is load bearing )

also, you could extend into the front hallway next to the stairs and have a recess there for the fridge / freezer and waher / dryer etc..

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone,

. The current downstairs toilet is just a single storey bit added to the end of the house by the previous occupants around 25 years ago, and we have stripped the toilet out and are in the process of having it placed in the pantry (Does this require building reg's approval?)

e
was that single storey bit done with proper Building Regs @ the time?.....you need BR approval for the drains at least with a WC in the old pantry...you may end up putting the WC back :cry: I hope it all turns out OK....you need to get onto Building Control @ your local council

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back