Removing Wood Chip loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I am currently in th eprocess of having my loft insulation improved. At the moment the loft has about 3 or 4 inches or old wood chip between the joists. I've been told I need to remove this before the guys from British Gas will lay the new insulation.
I started the job just using a dust pan and brush and rubbish bags, but it extremely slow and tedious.
So I reckoned if I got a leaf blower/sucker and attached mess bags (like onion sacks) i cud just suck it up.
have any of you dealt with this issue before or do you think my idea might work.
Any replies or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
More likely to be loose vermiculite than wood chip.

Why can't you leave it situ and insulate over the top?

As previous post, most likely vermiculite. Definitely leave it in place and add more insulation of top, can't see any reason to make hard work of it by removing it.

I dont think it is vermiculite (I just googled that). It seems woody or papery in texture..... In any case I have been toold to remove it before the new insulation is installed as it is a fire hazard..... Seem its just going to be a horrible chore!!

Sponsored Links
Hire a dirty great industrial vac, mate - the kind that has no collection bags.
HSS had one with extra long tubes a while back.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back