Renault Clio 16V engine problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought Renault Clio Alize, 03/2001 1.4 16V petrol automatic, drove it from Wales to London, was no problem, one day last week the car didn't feel right, rough, hesitated and juddered; upon closer inspection, I could see some oil near the spark plugs, and there was the second plug covered with oil, so the car was running almost on 3 plugs, hence misfiring.
Used Renault sealant on top rocker cover & cured the leak, changed all plugs. it felt a little better but it remains rough and hesitates. Also, I inspected the Idle Control Valve, it seems fine.
The problem is that the engine doesn't either feel or drive good at all, to make things worse, now I have the engine sign constantly LIT.
Any thought would be well appreciated. Thanks
:confused: :cry: :confused:

Sponsored Links
possible coil pack problem?
fault codes need to be read if management light is on,you could buy yourself a cheapish one on e bay and do it yourself

Hi CH

Thanks for your reply.
two ignition coils were suspect, replaced them today, also, I inspected the new plugs which were newly replaced, some were blackened, possibly due to the old oil leak from the top, cleaned them and test the car, at a low rev the car was not right, sounded like the old VW air cooled Beetle or the old slug shaped Citeroin, at higher rev the engine felt better but on the whole there seems to lack of either a pressure or contininuety of sparks.
The engine sign remains lit, I would consider the managment read out gadget but not sure what to look out for.

Thanks

One more thing, the air valve idle control has a moving part, I fiddled with it, wondered if it is self adjusted and returns to its original position once the engine is on.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi CH

Thanks for the ebay link, finally, I booked the car for a diagnostic test at Renault and they confirmed that the other two ignition coils are faulty.

Thanks for your contribution.

:D :D :D

Back