Render arch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first post. Forgive if this is answered already. No time to read though all 1'000s of Render subject posts. I'm a total novice but have done some rendering. I wish to make a cement/sand rendered arch (external) on side of garden hut. Roughly about gap would be 8ft high, 3 feet wide. The existing framework is wood on top of blocks (2 high). I was thinking to make plywood 'box' arch, nail chicken wire to it and the wood frame then render over all, say about 1/2 inch, scratch it, then final coat around 1/2 inch again, paint over (masonry paint). I've tried a small area, the render seems to stick ok but don't want to continue with me guesswork though and later it crumbles off. Won't be much traffic. Any advice welcome. Could post pix if required.Ta.

Sponsored Links
As long as you use a WBP ply, it wouldn't be a problem. I would also cover the ply in felt,, and also use wire lath rather than chicken wire. When you have the felt fixed/stapled to the ply,,, put thin batten/spacers between the felt and the mesh, to allow the render to get behind the mesh and grip onto it. Scratch it first with a waterproofer/plasticiser in the scratchcoat,, and it will give you an easier job when you put on the top coat,, again with waterproofer/plasticiser. Half inch thick coats though??? one inch thick overall,, mmmm, now that is THICK!!,,, it certainly won't blow away. :LOL: Show us a pic if you can. ;)

Roughcaster.

Fanx for reply. Very pleased someone has! I got some pix loaded up to an album 'Render project' that'll show one of the areas I'm gonna mix with. Maybe get sum laffs on here heh heh but I don't care, I got long hair. We all gotta start somewhere. I used to be a player but hearing loss (kid measles, donkeys ago) accelerateted badly last few years so I've quit music and now gotta learn to be creative in other ways. Bought an owse, needs a few fings, an' especially I'm creating a workshop/hut/shed fing out back to spend time in trying to make stuff, walking sticks, stained glass, pottery, bit of woodywork, whatever. I got scrap ply left over from roof/external wall (wall to be covered with pine cladding) and I fink it's WBP. Not sure what you mean by 'felt' but I'll ask local merchants, maybe they'll explain. Fanx again. Big fanx.

anything is possible

this is hand carved and coloured to look like ..... this
GALLERY]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back