Rendering Existing Yard Wall

Bon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

During these last couple of nice sunny days, I've decided to make our back yard a nicer place to sit an enjoy the sunshine.

One wall in particular has seen much better days and I've decided to have a go at rendering it and then painting.

My planned method is as follows, I would appreciate any comments/guidance you guys can offer!

1. Remove all loose paint and all existing render.
2. Rake out the existing pointing
3. Re-point the wall very generously using a mix of sand/cement & possibly pva (depending on the advice given!!) to provide a good base for the scratch coat to adhere to.
4. Apply scratch coat, 4:1:1 sand/cement/lime.
5. Apply render coat, 5:1:1 as above.
6. Paint when fully dry
7. Enjoy newly rendered wall!!

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bother with the re-pointing, as I rake out the joints on new brickwork for the spreads as it gives a key.

Cheers Stuart.

So in effect, the scratch-coat will be pushed into the gaps between the bricks?

Also, I noticed I mentioned lime in the scratch-coat. Is this correct, or should it only go into the float mixture??

Sponsored Links
So in effect, the scratch-coat will be pushed into the gaps between the bricks?
correct.

Also, I noticed I mentioned lime in the scratch-coat. Is this correct, or should it only go into the float mixture??
both coats. good luck :D

Thanks for the help guys.

Will be giving it a go in a couple of weeks time, just hope the weather stays nice!!

we had a decopierre finish done straight onto old render

[GALLERY=media, 10765][/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 10766][/GALLERY]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back