Render fallen off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Asking for a friend who's after a second opinion. Some of his render has fallen off, bungalow from (I think) 1970s. The guy he's used for plastering inside reckons it's normal and about £60 to fix.
The missing bit is what pulled off by hand, there's about 2-3 times the area that's loose (sounds hollow).

Sponsored Links
Looking at the pics close up, it looks as though the bellcast beading has rusted away causing the render/roughcast at the bottom of the wall to weaken. Build ups of snow and ice against the wall each winter has also contributed to the damage. It certainly "isn't normal" for this to happen. If render is applied properly,and with a good key, it should last for many years. It pays to use stainless steel beading for this type of work nowadays, or plastic. It can be repaired but will always be noticeable. Be careful when you remove loose render or plaster as it can soon spread. I also think you'll find the rust damage to the beading is severe all round the render areas. Check it all out cos if you miss any, it'll cause problems in the future. I also think it'll cost a lot more than £60 quid to sort it out properly.

Yes, the metalwork is completely rotten.

Where the render isn't loose, is it advisable to bend the rusty beading away from it, or will the missing support be worse ?

I know what you mean about repairs being visible. I've never seen an invisible repair, though some are better than others. The patch where the old gas boiler flue on the front was filled in was terrible - they didn't even use the same size stone :rolleyes: We knocked it out and had another go, but it's "not come out as well" as the (smaller) flue we tackled round the side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back