render not sticking

do you ever mix your sands ? say 2 sharp 1 soft, or 2 plastering 1 soft?

Steve, yes , if it is a too coarse. Sometimes it's a little dead or greedy and a bit of soft in the mix gives it a bit of life.

You're still not making the overall aggregate too soft though if you just put enough in - but as you know that depends on the sand .

Sometimes we get a batch of 'Leighton Buzzard' that's very dead and a few shovels of soft does the trick.
cheers micilin when you say dead or greedy do you mean not workable enough? and adding the soft sand makes it more workable?

Sponsored Links
do you ever mix your sands ? say 2 sharp 1 soft, or 2 plastering 1 soft?

Steve, yes , if it is a too coarse. Sometimes it's a little dead or greedy and a bit of soft in the mix gives it a bit of life.

You're still not making the overall aggregate too soft though if you just put enough in - but as you know that depends on the sand .

Sometimes we get a batch of 'Leighton Buzzard' that's very dead and a few shovels of soft does the trick.
cheers micilin when you say dead or greedy do you mean not workable enough? and adding the soft sand makes it more workable?

Yeah, Steve - 'dead' is not workable - 'greedy' sometimes wants a little bit more cement in it

I too have had much the same problem. My Scratch Coat was a 5:1 mix, Top Coat 4:1. The sand did seem far too fine to me but wasnt sure if it would make a difference. Plus I was using a combined additive ( plasterciser, waterproofer and something else I cant remember now, It was 3 in 1 thing) ..I usually use waterproofer and thats that!! .. Float coats blown and the scratch is still stuck but very sandy ( New breezeblock Wall ).. Am I safe to add the Top Coat and try again seeing as the scratch is dusty? Removing the scratch now would be a nightmare. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I too have had much the same problem. My Scratch Coat was a 5:1 mix, Top Coat 4:1. The sand did seem far too fine to me but wasnt sure if it would make a difference. Plus I was using a combined additive ( plasterciser, waterproofer and something else I cant remember now, It was 3 in 1 thing) ..I usually use waterproofer and thats that!! .. Float coats blown and the scratch is still stuck but very sandy ( New breezeblock Wall ).. Am I safe to add the Top Coat and try again seeing as the scratch is dusty? Removing the scratch now would be a nightmare. Thanks

Welcome to the forum - you're better off starting your own new thread rather than resurrect an old one. Can always add a URL in yours if you think it's appropriate.
(PS I thought the scratch coat should be the stronger mix of the two)

Regards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back