render preparation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, got a question i think should be easy for you guys but i still none the wiser after 3 quotes. My problem is i am getting my house rendered( sand and cement) and on the rear extension is masonry paint, Sandtex. I have been told i can leave it on and render over, and been told its got to come off. Thats my first question, what should i do?. Next is in the front. I have a square bay which is pebbledashed but cracked.Its all coming off to be rendered but underneath is timber frame and brick insert i been told.I am going to do the ripping off to save some cash and i want to prepare it for the render.Is there some kind of board i get to box it in for the render and what else will i need to prepare the bay. Thanks for listening.

Sponsored Links
Hello everyone, got a question i think should be easy for you guys but i still none the wiser after 3 quotes. My problem is i am getting my house rendered( sand and cement) and on the rear extension is masonry paint, Sandtex. I have been told i can leave it on and render over, and been told its got to come off. Thats my first question, what should i do?. Next is in the front. I have a square bay which is pebbledashed but cracked.Its all coming off to be rendered but underneath is timber frame and brick insert i been told.I am going to do the ripping off to save some cash and i want to prepare it for the render.Is there some kind of board i get to box it in for the render and what else will i need to prepare the bay. Thanks for listening.

alright on the rear extension you need to scrap any loose paint off an then u need to scrach the paint up using a angle grinder to make a key for the render to stick to an mix up some p.v.a glue with some water an put a few hand fulls of cement in with it an paint it all over the masonry paint an thats ready for render an for the front on the timber u need metal mess to be nail all over the wood so the sand an cement has somethink to key to .

thanks for the reply ken27, just a couple of questions, just the mesh over the timber and brick( no outdoor render board) and what ratio for the pva water mix,, just that i heard if pva gets wet it returns to liquid and all render falls off,, thanks again

for the pva do it 3parts water one part pva an a few hand fulls of cement in it, does not need to be exact only paint it on the same day u are going to render only paint the masory paint that u have scraped an that is stuck on.The render will stick to the brick because the paint has been scrached with the angle grider.
Nail the the mess only on to the timber no need to put any on the brick render will stick to the brick any way have not heard of render board but if u have been told it works well u could try it

Sponsored Links
thanks again ken for the reply. i only wanted to do the prep work to keep costs down so i guess alls i got to do is nail on the mesh and grind off the paint, pva stuff down to the plasterer seens as it should be done same day.you been a great help, thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back