Render Repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just moved into a 20 year old house that is rendered from about 1 meter from the ground upwards, Where the Render stops it flares out at the bottom and there is some metalwork underneath (I assume to aid the Rendering when it was going on) Some sections of this metal work are Rusting away and as such coming away from the render leaving a gap.

I can probably fill the gap but is this normal and are they actually serving any purose now and should I get these looked at.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
what you you have there are bellcast beads, and yes they do serve a purpose they are flared for a reason and that is to divert the rainwater away from the bottom of your walls, if they are rusting away your best bet would be to have them replaced with stainless steel ones, this would involve chopping them out and replacing

Thanks for the reply, sounds expensive and I suspect impossible to do without destroying the whole bottom half of the render.

shouldnt be too expensive although if you were to redo it you should use stainless steel bellcast so if doesnt rust agian. an angle grinder across a batton fixed about 6" to 1' above the casting would give you a nice straight edge to work from too.

Sponsored Links
You could also use a batten to work to instead of a bead, forming a bell cast, and remove the (oiled) batten a few days after the render has set. This will save the cost of the s/s beading

Thanks for the replies guys, Where the Bellcast has rusted but the actual Render is ok, I.e solid and still flares out as it would have done do I need to do anything?
Some of the belcast if you look underneath where the render ends are rusty but Render is still intact and looks ok other than needing a paint.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys, Where the Bellcast has rusted but the actual Render is ok, I.e solid and still flares out as it would have done do I need to do anything?
Some of the belcast if you look underneath where the render ends are rusty but Render is still intact and looks ok other than needing a paint.

Thanks
if you are happy with just painting over the rust then thats up to you, just remember it wont be long b4 the rust bleeds through the new paint, if you are going to be happy with that then just plug the holes where the bead has rusted away leaving the holes, but there is only one sure fire way to cure the problem and thats take the old beads out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back