Rendered retaining wall flaking and render coming off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The rendered wall at my backyard is almost 10 years old. The textured paint is flaking at few places and render is coming off at few places. At some places I can just scrape the render and it comes out as powdered (like cement) but at some places the render is as good as new. Is it that some areas are moist and some areas are not? or is it due to weather and ageing? or was the render not done properly? all of them are in the backyard and there is no roof or anything, they get full sun, wind and rain. what should I do? Do I scrape off the loose bits and patch it up and then repaint it?

Sponsored Links
Tap the rendering gently with a broad head hammer. If it has come away from the wall it will sound hollow as opposed to sounding like you are hitting solid concrete/brick where it is still firmly attached to the underlying brickwork.

If it has come away, depending on the amount of area it covers, you may be able to hack it back to a good edge and repair with new rendering. Once painted it should not be noticeable.

Thank you conny. Some areas are pretty good and some are loose and flaking with white powdery stuff inside them..... so I just scrape them and try taking them as much as possible with chisel and then render it again?

Sponsored Links
If I scapre few bits off and chisel out few loose rendered bits should I re render the whole wall since some areas still the old render is there, does the patch job looks ok after I give a coat of Masonry paint? Also does this happen due to ageing or bad job done previously 10 years ago?

Depends on size of patch, a repair should be OK, if you want a perfect job then re render it completely, your choice
Ten years without being treated is good going for anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back