Rendering an Outdoor Oven - K-Rend over Vermicrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Wonder if someone can advise?

I have built an outdoor pizza oven, and am at the final stage of finishing the dome.

The dome has been finished off with an insulation layer of vermicrete (vermiculite/cement 8:1).

The approx sq/mt is about 5.

I have purchased three bags of K-Rend Silicone FT, and just wanted to check-in to see if I need to do anything special.

I am planning on spraying down the vermicrete with a light mist of water, and then applying a single coat of K-Rend.

Q. Should I apply a scratch coat first (bearing in mind I only have three bags of the stuff).

Q. I don't plan on adding any beading, as the only place where there are straight edges are around the oven entry, which can get fairly hot

Q. I have seen mentioned on other forums 'curved trowels', but with little other explanation. Has anyone heard of one of these - maybe for rendering curved surfaces?

It doesn't have to be 'over the top', as I will be building a roof over it, so I don't expect it to get to weathered.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I've built an oven similar to what you are describing . To be honest I'm not aquainted with the K-rend stuff you mention , I just used sand and cement with some lime if I recall correctly.
I used a scratch coat and built up several layers.
No beading on it either although there was chicken mesh in the render mainly for added strength as the oven isn't static but is moved around.
Didn't use a curved trowel , just a regular pointing trowel and final smoothing was done with my hands. The original ovens were made of clay and this was daubed over a wooden frame by hand. It of course cracked with the heat and "repairs" wee made by simply smearing more clay into the cracks. This was much easier to do with your hands than with any kind of tool

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back