Rendering and Damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm new to this forum and I need some advice.
I've lived in a Victorian end terrace for 4 years now and since we moved in we've had problems with damp and mold. One wall is rendered and also has 2 chimneys and it's this wall that's damp.
Every damp surveyor, builder or roofer we've had take a look at it has said something different needs to be done.
The roof and chimneys have been checked, the chimney was capped and the roofer said this needed removing to let air circulate so we paid for that and it didn't help.
Another builder looked from the ground and said that the flashing looks wrong but that had been checked by the roofer.
A builder thinks the bricks of the chimney don't extend out enough and it's causing water to drip into the rendering.
A damp surveyor said it's likely micro cracks in the rendering but then said he didn't know and that they should change the damp proof course to be sure. Another builder said the render should be taken off entirely and replaced.
We've had someone out the check the windows and they said the ones on that wall are fine.
When we do try and hire someone they often come out, measure up then never come back again or keep pushing the date back because they have bigger jobs (we've been waiting on the window people since August).
I'm just not sure how to decide exactly what needs to be done or how to find someone to hire.
If anyone has any advice I'd be grateful, I'm finding it really hard to navigate.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
It could be 1 problem or 10.
The different trades will give their own take on things...i dont know what a damp surveyor is but they all work to their own agendas.

You need a proper building surveyor to give it a proper professional assessment otherwise you could be going round in circles spending money needlessly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back