rendering celcon solar blocks that are built as 'thin joint'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a small garden outbuilding that I am extending with celcon solar blocks, built as 'thin joint blockwork' using celfix mortar. I appreciate that I want the blocks with a 'key' on the surface - but there will be no 'recessed joint' to aid adhesion - because it is 'thin joint'

I have read enough posts to know that this material is not easy to render....

As this is a small building, I am willing to use mesh and proprietary brands of render if it will make the job easier.

My question is 'how to do it':

-fix mesh to blocks - what fasteners?
-detail around windows and at base of render - lip?
-type of render to use and method of application?

Sponsored Links
found this:

http://www.azobuild.com/details.asp?ArticleID=7938

no talk of thin joint methods though, EML will help no end but if it's exterior everything will need to be stainless steel, including the fixings for it, which i'd use screws, plugs and washers, maybe overkill but i like to make sure.

i wonder if though it could be done using an SBR based spatterdash coat instead, thi smayhelp control suction of these thirsty blocks as well as give you a good key, negating the need for expensive EML.

see what some of the other guys think though.

thanks for both replies...

fasteners for mesh - what do you need to hold in a celcon block 'helical fasteners'?

fibre mesh I can find.... what is hp 12?

rgds

Graham

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back