Thin Joint masonry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently started getting things together to use the Thin joint system as suggested by my architech. I am almost ready to start had lots of trouble getting correct blocks and finally found a supplier who had some but not the mortar.

So I have ordered 300mm Turbo blocks ( Thermalite ) but now I want to find the Mortar and the manafacturer will only sell to a merchant and one whos buys the complete system in one go. I purchased the tools from Tackburns I didnt realise how new this system was and now have difficulty gettingthe mortar. I wonder does anyone have experience of this and could i use the Celfix mortar with my Thermalite blocks ?

ideally it should be Thermalite Thin Joint mortar with Thermalite blocks
and Celfix mortar with Celcon blocks.

Any advice helpful and if someone knows where to buy the mortar that would really help me.

Cliff

Sponsored Links
Surely the manufacturer can refer you to a distributor or merchant who will supply you?

Normally the actual manufacturer would refer you to a range of distributors, stockists and retailers from whom you can buy.

If they can't do that I'd go to a different manufacturer. They can't possibly expect their product to be adopted if it isn't possible to purchase it.

Sponsored Links
I was recommended by H&H who make thermalite to go to both Jewsons and Travis Parkins. both the ones recommended said we dont stock Thermalite anymore but by then I had already started with the building and gone down the 215mm block route. so changing to 610mm blocks was not an option.

I have since spent loads on the thin joint tools etc and do think it's a good system but yes if they can not supply the components yes how can they expect it to be taken up.

I have since spent loads on the thin joint tools etc and do think it's a good system

Why is it a good system? Is it because it's new? What's wrong with cement/sand mortar?

You have to make sure the blocks are perfectly flat; have to use their spreading tool; have to use their mortar etc etc.
The precision needed (2mm joints) is not well-suited to site work anyway, and certainly not for DIY.

I suspect by the time you've finished, you may have spent a lot more on equipment/materials, and a lot more time, than had you done the blockwork normally. And for what gain?

See your point but the reason I went with this is the speed of build I only get weekends to work on it as work full time. It is supposed to improve the thermal mass and cut down on the heat loss etc.. etc.. This when finsihed is also for a sick relative to move into so saving time on the build is imperative but not to the extent of bodging it up.

Main point also I am ok at brick laying (slow) and this seemed a good alternative. Looking at the costs

Blocks were the same price just had to make sure they were compliant to Thin joint.
tools purchased but could sell on once finished very little lost on those I suspect.
Sand / cement ? dont know the cost on that but the mortar should work out about £70 if I can get it for the complete build.

So in all it looked good to start with and yes maybe if I had known the problems getting everything together I should have gone down the sand cement route but the post on here was to see if anyone could help with advice you never know someone may know where i can buy the mortar and all would have been fine.

I understand your reasoning to a point, but I suspect these systems are more applicable to large sites rather than DIY work.

The point the manufacturers make about heat loss is overplayed. Yes, there is technically a reduction in heat loss because the joints are thinner, and that's where a weakness lies. But worked out over the total area of walling, and allowing for insulation provided by the cavity fill, the actual reduction in heat loss is quite small.

There is also an increase in design strength with this system, but for small domestic works, compressive strength is not really an issue.

Not trying to pour cold water on your project, but even doing it part-time, I suspect that the traditional way would have been easier for you.
But good luck with it anyway.

From watching youtube videos of blocks being laid it does look significantly faster to me.

The sheer speed with which you can lay a long bed is amazing, and the blocks are a lot bigger, plus less bedding/leveling.

I suspect the mistake here was not ordering all your gear from one place! Surely you can find a supplier just on Google?

From watching youtube videos of blocks being laid it does look significantly faster to me.

The sheer speed with which you can lay a long bed is amazing, and the blocks are a lot bigger, plus less bedding/leveling.

That's true, and the fact that the blockwork goes up relatively quickly compared with traditional work means that the roof could go on and following trades can get in quicker.
Even so, if using conventional brick externally, that doesnt go up any quicker, and you also have to be careful about knocking the wall ties in, particularly near the top of the wall.
I still think this system would only produce cost savings on large sites and is not really applicable to smaller jobs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back