rendering cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of buying a house and the homebuyers survey and subsequent damp report have identified a need for repairs to cracked render on the front wall, and for a bellcast to be applied on both the front and back walls. It's not a large area - it's a standard 3bed semi circa 1930s and only half of the front and back wall is rendered (the bit that sticks out where the porch is is just brick). Can anybody give me even a vague indication of how much the repairs ought to cost? I want the information so that I know how much to budget and whether to negotiate a reduction in price or an allowance from the vendors. I'm really struggling to get local builders to quote for a job that I'm not in a position to commission. If anyone can throw in an indicative cost for installation of an airbrick and replastering an internal wall that would be a bonus! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
was there originally a bellcast beads? Have you been told this is causing the damp? It is very hard if not impossible to patch upto original rendering without anyone noticing and adding bellcasts and repairing cracks. without looking at it you may be better getting quotes to hack off and re-render. It sounds like youve been advised to sort out a damp problem by adding air bricks and replastering one wall internally (is this wall damp). I cant see anyone giving you a price on here without more details and maybe a picture.

The survey reads as though there's never been a bellcast. Yes, there is a damp problem - I've had a timber and damp survey subsequent to the homebuyers survey and they have said that the damp course is being bridged by the floor timbers to the rear and side of the house, but that at the front the damp is likely to be from penetration through cracks in the render and possibly overflow from guttering. The timber/damp company have quoted for the replacement of the damp proof course and for internal replastering in the rear but have said that the builder that repairs the render should do the replastering in the front of the house at the same time.

The timber/damp survey didn't specify a need for additional sub-floor ventilation (i.e. the airbricks), that's something that was in the homebuyer survey although I understand that they tend to put that in as standard!

In all likelihood once we've bought the place I probably will look to completely replace the render but since the timber/damp survey suggests that the problem could be dealt with just by repair I need a quote just for repairs to base my negotiations with the vendors on - I can't very well ask for a reduction of the price to cover replacement when the report only says it needs to be repaired.

I'm not looking for an exact quote, I just want an idea of how much the work would be likely to cost. I can provide a link to a picture on the estate agent's website if that would help?

please note forum rule 9

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back