Rendering cracking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just attempted to render some areas after burying pipes into the wall. It's cracking after about 20 minutes, it hasn't set fully yet.
I'm new at this and would appreciate any insight.
The mix I used was 3:1.

Sponsored Links
Possible causes.
Too much suction?,, did you wet/soak the block/brickwork down first? Did you scratchcoat the areas first, or did you just fill it out in one go? Was there waterproofer/plasticiser in the mix? Was the mortar properly mixed,, aerated/light,,, or was it heavy to spread/use, causing it to slump/split? Was the hot sun beating down on the render causing it to dry out too quick? Too strong a mix? These are some of the reasons that can contribute to render cracking.

Roughcaster.

I did spray water onto the brickwork before rendering.
I didn't scratchcoat as I've only just googled it.
I didn't use any plasticiser.
It looked well mixed enough, I spent long enough mixing it!
Heavy to use? Not sure I understand that, how would you make it less heavy?
The sun can't reach the render, but it was a warm day.
It seems to be attached to the wall alright, I'll be tiling over it at some point so hopefully the eyesore that is my handywork won't be a problem.

Sorry about the jargon! If mortar is mixed without a plasticiser added, it will be what is termed as heavy,, lifeless, especially if it has to be spread onto a wall. Plasticiser puts air into mortar making it very light and easy to use,, fluffy, buttery,, easy to spread,,, lime helps too. Waterproofer in the mix stops any suction in the wall. A combined waterproofer/plasticiser called Evo-Plast is one that I use, but there are other brands. It's always worth scratchcoating first too.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Ah, interesting stuff! I'll bookmark this for when I do the kitchen...
Well, it's stayed on the wall overnight, I guess it'll be alright.

Thanks Roughcaster :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back