New render cracking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently rendered my two chimney breasts which were solid brick with sand/cement/lime mix (5:1:1). The plasterer also used fairy liquid to help make it easier to work with.

The wall was pva'd and then the cement render put on. The plan is then to use a multi finish skim over the render. However the next day after the render the below cracks have started to appear. I know it's yet to be skimmed but will the cracks come through the skim finish too in time and are the cracks in the render normal after such a job?

Below you can see the key created but also within the key you should be able yo see the cracks I'm referring too As well

Sponsored Links
Shrinkage cracks caused by too much suction in the substrate.

It will be fine as long as the render has taken.

That's really pleasing to hear. Should I wait a certain number of days for render to cure and cracks to finish developing before moving ahead with skim?

Sponsored Links
No scratch coat. Just pva'd the brick and then straight on with a render mix 5:1:1. (Sand, cement:lime) and fairy liquid in mix too.

I would use the existing wall as a scratch coat and scrim over the cracks and put another float coat on , Maybe a 6-1-1 mix...then skim it. Put a bit of plasticiser in you mix not w/proofer.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back