Rendering external ingoes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

When rendering ingoes is it the norm to scratch coat first and then a finish coat?

Also many years ago I remember helping (probably getting in the way, I must of been all of 14) dash a garage, the ingoes were faced/levelled with timber on the external wall and then were floated up to the edge of the timber and sponge finished, now a days I notice it is all plastic beading.

What method to you guys prefer nowadays?

Sponsored Links
scratch coat to the ingoes would normally be done at the same time as the rest of the building.

setting the arrises was done with straight edges and left to set, then the finishing coat would be applied and floated up.

using beads is a quicker way of doing this (and less skilled) the beads would be fitted before the scratchcoat.

Thanks Alastair,

More curious than anything else, I have a pal from work coming next week possibly, to scratch coat my extension its been a few years since he as swung a trowel and I was just wondering what the process involved was, as I think he will be old school.

One more question if you don't mind, the bell stop beading I have been offered is 10mm or 20mm, is 20 the normal width used? as I will need to get some, the house will be dashed.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
20mm is the stuff your looking for.

old schools the best! ;) bet he leaves a great job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back