rendering interior wall help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
iv choped off all the old plaster right back to brickwork, because of damp patches coming through, problem is the exterior of wall is not rendered, and i cant get to it because of neighbours hedge is right up against wall. so i have to do everything from inside, can i use a water seal on wall and then render would this seal up wall enough. any help would be great than you .

Sponsored Links
iv choped off all the old plaster right back to brickwork, because of damp patches coming through, problem is the exterior of wall is not rendered, and i cant get to it because of neighbours hedge is right up against wall. so i have to do everything from inside, can i use a water seal on wall and then render would this seal up wall enough. any help would be great than you .

I would cut back the hedge.... But before you go doing anything can you tell us all what sort of house you live in, it's age for instance and the type of build ie: is the wall a cavity wall. What was on the walls, lime or gypsum based.

What condition is the outside pointing in and is the gutters ok? It would be advisable to find the cause of the damp before you start any work.

its an extension on the back of the house the preveious owner did, he used breeze blocks, and from what i can see there is no pointing on outside wall, interior wall was rendered with sand and cement

i think your right the only way to do it properly would be to to point and render outside wall, just the grief with the neighbours hedge and all that, guess im just checking all my options,

Sponsored Links
The fabric of your building takes precedence over a hedge, do you think your neighbour would be as accommodating if it was their property which was getting damp ingress.
As mentioned cut back the hedge.

i think your right the only way to do it properly would be to to point and render outside wall, just the grief with the neighbours hedge and all that, guess im just checking all my options,

You at least need to point the outside, it may not need render. Is the outside wall block? if so then yes render it.

So I would say the problem is the pointing.

cut the hedge and point the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back