Rendering internal walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just had a chemical damp proofing done today which I probably didn't need. I asked the guy how I should re-plaster the walls and he said to use a 3:1 sand/cement mix with a waterproofer additive. I've been reading a fair bit about this stuff and I keep reading that a lime based render would be better as it allows the bricks to breathe? Would this be correct and if so what exactly do I need to buy, as there seems to be different types (hydra-this, hydra-that), and what mix should I be using?

The property is a brick victorian terrace. I'm not going to do this for a while as I want to see if the this chemical damp proof has actually done anything first, but I want to make sure I do it properly.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Make sure all the old plaster is taken off and then give the walls a good brush off with a stiff brush. Repair any holes or poor joints with sand and cement 4:1 use only washed sand. Then damp down walls with a spray. Mix up render 3:1 washed plastering sand with a waterproofer added for first basecoat and scratch same. Then when still green add the second basecoat of 3:1 washed plastering sand and cement with waterproofer added.Devil float same to give a key for finish coat. Skim coat useing board finish plaster do not over trowel or use water when troweling up.Leave plaster for about a month before painting. Hope this is of help to you. S/S :)

i do damp proofing for a living mate, i never use lime unless it is specified by the customer or english heritage (on listed building). as superslasher says use a good quality waterproofer in your mixes scratch coat 3-1 top coat 4-1.

some use waterproofer in the scratch coat only some do in both. i personally use in both but only a little in the top coat. (to be honest its more as a plasterciser than anything else).

devil float is a poly or wood float with nails protruding a few millis out of one end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back