Rendering (moved from "Your Projects"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan on rendering my outhouse building in garden. I've never rendered before but know how to plaster . I plan on using k rend Base coat and top coats etc.

OK so I need to use external needs for corners but what do u use for the doors and windows??? Fit stop beeds or use externel corner beeds again ???

Ps I plan on taking the doors and windows out and replace them!!

Any help will be appreciated

+++++++++++++++++
Moderator's note
Please see //www.diynot.com/diy/
+++++++++++++++++

Attachments

• 20160621_151519.jpg
    20160621_151519.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 75
Sponsored Links
I would personally get someone in to do the k rend that is more challenging then basic skimming. And if it goes wrong it goes expensively wrong. Also you would need the new Windows/doors in to render up to

I've been told you can't go wrong with it. Takes day to dry out etc . I suppose getting the mix right is the key

Yea it is tricky to do. The Base coat has to be dead flat. The k rend is like paint mixed with grit you put it on the wall and use specialized plastic trowels to rub back to the grit. You trowel it on and rub it back to the grit to get the texture. If you haven't done it before when you have finished you will step back and see exactly were u started/stopped etc the acrylic dries very quick. Personally I would look into mono it's dead easy to do and looks brilliant.

Sponsored Links
Yea it is tricky to do. The Base coat has to be dead flat. The k rend is like paint mixed with grit you put it on the wall and use specialized plastic trowels to rub back to the grit. You trowel it on and rub it back to the grit to get the texture. If you haven't done it before when you have finished you will step back and see exactly were u started/stopped etc the acrylic dries very quick. Personally I would look into mono it's dead easy to do and looks brilliant.
Also k rend comes premixed in tubs (y)

Thanks. I've only got my plastering trowel. Will have to go out and by a plastic one . What's it look like? (

Just search eBay for plastic trowel. They're smaller than a standard trowel as they're just moving the top coat in a circular motion. You need to put it on with a stainless steel trowel, as thin as possible, so it's a lot harder on you're shoulders than normal plastering. I watched a Youtube video of a plasterer doing it, and he put it on like normal plaster, and when he used the plastic float, it just moved it into lumps and looked a mess - except he was proud of the job he'd done. If you watch the poles doing it, they use a very wide two handed trowel, and they're much easier to use. If you're doing a window reveal with about a 6" reveal, then you'd use a wide mesh bead, but with small reveals, you can use plastic beading. Are you intending to use mesh in the base coat. Make sure you brush the walls down, and use a stabiliser before you do the base coat.

No basically was going too brush Walls with water .put corner beeds on etc and slap the base coat on

Well that's certainly one method, but I'd still start with the stabiliser instead of the water, and then go for it. Have the corner beads got a lip on them, and are they plastic. As a plasterer, you're used to galvanised beads with a 2mm lip.

What stabiliser you recommend? U mean a pva? Not got beeds yet . Are they supposed to be plastic?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back