Rendering on Accrington Brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The brickwork on the back three walls of our house are very badly spalled and a surveyors has recommended rendering them. They are accrington brick however, so I beleive this poses some problems regarding getting a decent key on the surface.

One plasterer had suggested attaching EML mesh, though another has advised that this may blow, his suggestion was to use a product by everbuild plasterers grip coat, thought he had never used it personally.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
You could use a "splatter dash" mix, When I was doin a lot of rendering and we had areas with low suction then we used to mix 3 sand 1 cement and unibond into a semi runny mix and throw that on the wall as a "splatter dash coat. This when dry would give you good suction to put your scratch coat on to. When sbr came out we would use that instead of pva, Some of the old boys will remember it. In fact it might still be used..I would still do it that way,,,

Accringtons are similar in make-up to bell iron! You are likely to achieve a better key by scoring the mortar joints.
I'm always a bit wary of rendering a bad batch of bricks owing to them spalling further still in the future. Take advice from seasoned rendering boys.(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back