Rendering over crack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Last year I bought a ground floor flat [part of a 1900 victorian house which has been converted]
I didnt notice on viewing [and nor did my survey pick up] that there is a virtical crack running from base to roof on the external gable wall. as a result the original surveyor instructed a second independant survyer who's report advised this was thermal movement and recommened to repair the render. The crack was then subsequently and temporarily filled to make water-tight for winter with fibreglass?? i think. the initial surveyor send me a cheque to cover the cost of this [minimal] and is asking me to close this case.

My questions are: should the whole wall not be re-rendered? [patching not good as the crack may only open up again], and if so how is this done? and what are likely costs? If the cae I think the surveyor should be footing the bill. and does anyone know of any recommended plaste / render companies near chertsey, surrey that I can ask?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
I think in order for you to address this properly you will need to seek advice from another surveyor and get him to veiw the repair because I dont feel that you should be left with a temporary job if the initial surveyor missed it. Had this been noticed by him/her it may have affected your descision to purchase the property or indeed the price you were willing to pay for it.

Thanks John

these were my thoughts! unfortunately I cant afford the cost of the third survey at the moment and the surveyor is asking me for a response.

Sponsored Links
You could try getting some quoted for a permanent repair from several different people/companies. Explain to the surveyor that it is unsatisfactory to be left with a temporary winter repair for a problem which was not noticed by him, its a bit of an error considering you paid him to survey the property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back