cracked blown render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have viewed a house today with the potential to purchase, however it is causing me concern due to the following problem. I am aware that I could pay for a surveyer but thought I would ask here first. The problem is the house is in the countryside and the rendering is blown over the window and has hairline cracks elsewhere. The house is 5 years old butt I dont think it would be covered by NHBC as it looks like it has previously been repainted over the cracks etc. Would it simply be a case of removing the blown render and re renderering over the cracks etc and then painting the whole house.
Does the blown render mean the house would suffer with damp etc.
Other houses in the street appear to have similar yet less damage to the render.
As the house is a repossessionI cannot get any further info.
Should I leave well alone and dare i ask how much would it cost to re render as its a 4 bed detached.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
To be honest, for a house that is only 5 years old, the rendering looks an awful mess. It just proves a point, that often, a repair makes it look a lot worse. On here, we can only look at a picture, but there is no way, that amount of cracked rendering can simply be cut out, and patched invisibly. What is under the cracked render?? Until someone looks who knows. Could probably be, it's the brickwork/blockwork that's cracked as well. I don't want to say that it would be better to strip the whole lot off,, repair any cracks in the structure,, and re-render, because i'm only looking at a photo,, but it doesn't look good. See what the other guys think.

Roughcaster.

These are typical movement joints that have opened up where you would expect them to (top and bottom of window revels and door revels) Could be a quick fix with hacking off and meshing over cracks or there could be something more sinister going on here. If it looks that bad after five years I would think that there may be more to it than a "Quick Fix". So I am not going to advise what you should do as I personally think there is more to these cracks than meets the eye :cry:

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the replies, I believe after reading the replies that something more sinister is lurking underneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back