rendering over paint ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi' ive just moved into my house.
there is a large workshop built from blocks of some sort and then painted on the outside.
unfortunately when it rains it comes through the walls ... nice if you want an indoor water feature.
now can i just render over the paint ..it seems to be pretty sound.
or is it worth painting it again .
or how about a paintable water barrier.
i find it hard to believe that the previous owner (dick) was happy to put up with this .. perhaps the paint has given up and maybee a new coat might sort it out.
clutching at straws.. any help or ideas welcome .
cheers.

Sponsored Links
Without actually seeing it its hard to give an exact answer so i would tend to be cautious and say the way would do it is tack mesh to the walls and then render as normal using waterproofer in the mix and then when the render has dried out paint it with a weathershield paint and it should be dry as a bone

yep i guess youre right .. i was just hoping someone would .. nah stick some paint on it guv !
im just amazed that the bloke was happy with the workshop .
then again he was supposed to be a (builder) think he was from texas if you get my drift !
the only bit thats dry is the middle of the floor.
workshop is approx 60'x20'
so perhaps the expence put him off.

Just beggers belief what some people put up with ,surely its no more expensive than having to replace all the stuff in your shed because its all got wet

Sponsored Links
yep .. just a shame he never said anything .
i wouldn't of been to happy but at least i would of picked what i could up off the floor.
and as you can imagine everything in a cardboard box placed on the floor
with all the rain and snow weve had lately is drownded.
the missus is livid especially as i stood her posh rug in the corner.
its acted like a wick.
thaks for replies.

Hi
Not meaning to contradict wozza, i see where he's coming from but to do it in this way using mesh would only work for a short time, maybe a couple of years. The render would only cling on to the mesh and not stick to the paint. It sounds like a 4" wall as opposed to a 9" with a cavity. Anyway, best bet is to remove all paint completely, a good power washer might just do it, then put a couple of coats of waterproof render on. if it is only a single skin wall though you will always have moisture problems unless you batten and plaster internally and install airbricks aswell. Sorry wozza, not trying to be smart, i tried the mesh trick years ago, it didn't work.

hi' ive just moved into my house.
there is a large workshop built from blocks of some sort and then painted on the outside.
unfortunately when it rains it comes through the walls ... nice if you want an indoor water feature.
now can i just render over the paint ..it seems to be pretty sound.
or is it worth painting it again .
or how about a paintable water barrier.
i find it hard to believe that the previous owner (dick) was happy to put up with this .. perhaps the paint has given up and maybee a new coat might sort it out.
clutching at straws.. any help or ideas welcome .
cheers.

We put breathable lime based renders onto mesh AFTER powerwashing and even grinding a few slots into block, one thing we always do (if paint wont come off) is put breathable membrane behind the mesh, fix with a nail gun, spray render over that.

Longest lasting job with second methos 12 yrs still on, not peeled and still spund and dry.

Not a cheap option, but oher than cladding the whole thing, can't add anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back