Rendering questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We've just had some new front windows fitted and we've had some rendering work done round the frame and at the top. It was previously a bay window with lead flashing at the top hence the rendering patch up. Anyway my questions :) ......

1. Do I need to apply a mist coat on the new render as I would with new interior plaster?

2. Can anyone recommend me a good masonary paint for the render?

Thanks

Phil

Sponsored Links
1. Yes

2. Bedec masonary paint is my first choice these days but i gotta feeling its only available in 5 litre tins, i've used dulux weathershield in the past but dont know what its like these days, sandtex has a fairly good rep.

Thanks for your reply.

I have a 3rd question.....what prep is needed if any before painting my render (over old paint)?

Phil

The existing needs to be clean and sound. If it is two full coats normally does the job.

Sponsored Links
The existing needs to be clean and sound. If it is two full coats normally does the job.

How do i clean the existing paint work, do i just use sugar soap...?

I'm fine with interior painting and prep but i've never painted render before!

Phil

Thanks for the helpful info :D

I'll have to scrape some bubbled areas of paint so afterwards I'll have patches, do I just fill these patches in? What would you recommend to fill? Also I've found out about render scrapers which I never knew existed! Would they be best to use or would a normal interior scraper suffice?

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil, i've never seen a render scraper but if you think it will make your life easier go for it. Scraped areas will reveal bare render so these patches have to be primed with diluted masonary paint by about 25%. Toupret fillers are very good they do a couple of masonary ones, the murex is good, i did have a bit of trouble rubbing some down back in the summer but i thinks its cos it got baked on by the sun on a very hot day.

Hope you don't mind me commenting but just read this thread and wanted to point out that render scrapers are usually for making a patterned/textured finish in freshly applied render or levelling out high spots to such, not for removing paint...unless there is some new tool I haven't heard about. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back