Rendering timber framing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings.

Been lurking around the site for a while but now decided to join in. Been a builder/joiner for more years than i care to mention and have a question on a project i'm doing at home.

It's probably been asked many times before but what's the detail for a single skin timber external wall that is to be rendered?

I'm building a conservatory and am using timber walls, which despite being in the trade have not tackled before. Built many a structure with brick/block but want to have a bash at timber framing and generally move in that direction with my job if customers want it. One of the side walls is within a metre of the boundary and best practice is to achieve "reasonable fire resistance" over the need to meet the glazing requirement. So this will be a full height wall, which will be rendered and i would like to find the easiest, cheapest way to this.

Basically, what are the different elements to attach to the timber framing. Most of the advice is for an air gap on the outside, but some sites say this is not always the case and they have been doing them without air gaps on the continent for years with no problems.

So, plasterboard to the inside (is that all i need?), then insulation between studs (what insulation is best?) followed by osb, breather membrane, treated battens, building paper, EML, then render (what sort of render). Don't need anything fancy as the wall will be up against a fence with enough room to service it.

Is that the best/only method, or is there a way to omit the air gap as some sites seem to suggest. Suppose it's down to what materials i use?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated and look forward to giving what knowledge i have gained in other areas on other threads.

Thanks,

Steve.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back