Rendering: Use of beading

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looking up external beading and wondered if this stuff is any good?
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101508&ts=02819&id=32449

It says to be used where the surface area is greater than 13m2 and that it flexes to hep prevent cracking? Is it used vertically or horizontally (or both?).

I thought it may be useful for me to use on the upper part of my garage gable walls as I want to render those while I still have scaffold up, and it may be getting a little to much on the cold soon side to do remainder of the garage so may be a useful 'seperator' until next year?

Cheers

C.

Sponsored Links
These are movement beads.You can also get 3m galvanised ones,or stainless steel.They are normally put on vertically down movement joints in blockwork etc.I have never seen them put on horizontally around this area.

Roughcaster.

Ahhh, so they ought to follow movement joints IN THE BLOCKWORK - if there is one?

You could also use single external render stop beads back to back,with maybe 5mm gap in between.The gap between the beading is then filled with a flexible mastic.A lot of people render or roughcast this way if the area is very large.They make the areas more manageable.But as I said earlier,movement beads,such as the ones you have purchased,are two beads in one,that are normally fitted over a created straight expantion joint in a gable/wall etc. and allow for any plus/minus movement in the structure.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
ok, thanks for that.

So, as a beginer, I could use the single stop beads to help break up the area into more managable portions. I imagine it would be quite hard to 'conceal' the join between them - guess thats the advantage of doing it wet all in one go.

Thanks for your help.

It would be better to do an area in one go.The use of stop beads back to back to break up say, a long wall would not be used at will. It would be used in such a way as to look planned.A high gable end with a big span might be divided into two halves vertically, to make it more manageable.Depends on who's doing the job.The join between the panels as I said would be filled with a mastic just to stop water getting in.This kind of joint does not look at all usightly.This is not the same as a movement/ expansion joint.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back