Renewing plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking at a total revamp of our house, and looking to add new power sockets and renewing the house wiring at the same time,
The old plaster board has the dreaded wood chip wall paper on so prob easier to replace.

I know a plaster skim gives the best Finnish but can you achieve decent results from decent lining paper

Would you recommend having ago a skim plastering myself, iv watched various videos on skimming and doesn't look to hard to do if you take your time and have half a clue.

Options please

Sponsored Links
I tried plastering once........... Never again. I have since come to the conclusion that all plasterers are involved with witchcraft in some way as they certainly don't seem to be bound by the same laws of physics as I do. So, I would not recommend you have a go at skimming unless you have time and space for much practise.

What about tapered boards and a tape and fill approach? I did a ceiling this way recently and was pleased with the results. It takes longer, but at least its DIY able without having to sacrifice a virgin goat or something similar.

Plastering is a trade in itself and a skill is involved. You need to practice first. Have you thought about a plastering course? seeing as you want to do your whole house. Plastering done badly can look very bad.

You don't get the same finish with lining paper. Note when you take the chipwood off, depending how old the house is, and the state of the plaster behind the paper, you may find the plaster comes off if it's blown anywhere.

Renewing all the house wiring - electrical work requires the person to be competent, doing the whole house is a big job, not really DIY, have you got all the tools / equipment / knowledge? A lot of people get injured with DIY electrical work hence the regulations

Yeh I understand the electrics side of things, I'm basicly looking at re-wiring as its the old black and red and need a new consumer unit. Iv got a family member who is an electrician and to save time and money I'm looking to backicly trunk all the new cabling and letting him connect and test everying before going live.

I did also consider a plastering course. Just trying to weigh up cost over time

Sponsored Links
I'm basicly looking at re-wiring as its the old black and red
The colours don't matter - are you sure it needs replacing?

and need a new consumer unit.
Do you know that one can't be connected to the existing wiring?

Iv got a family member who is an electrician and to save time and money I'm looking to backicly trunk all the new cabling and letting him connect and test everying before going live.
And even though he is a family member, he will be prepared to lie on official documentation that he did the work?

I know I need a new consumer unit hence why I need to rewire, and I was on the belief that old electrical cabling and systems should be updated hence why I'm thinking as I would be looking at moving sockets and renewing plasterboard it makes sense to carry out the work at the same time.

I wouldn't be asking him to lie as he would be doing the electrical connections aka roses, connection blocks etc, I'd just be doing all the labour work

I currently have the old fuse wire system and have upgraded the fuse system to the individual breakers,

And what I'm trying to achieve is a plan at what's required and who I need to speak with regarding this without breaking any regs,

If I can do all the dog work and save some ££££.

Any advice constructive or non constructive is very apreachiated

I was on the belief that old electrical cabling and systems should be updated
Not necessarily - if the old cables are sound and in the right places, there's no reason to replace them.

hence why I'm thinking as I would be looking at moving sockets
Although from a practical POV, if you are moving, not just adding, accessories, then there will come a point when it's easier to just run in a whole new circuit rather than trying to alter an existing one.

Just making the point that there's no reason, per se, to replace old cable (I'm assuming it's PVC, not rubber insulated though.... :confused: )

and renewing plasterboard it makes sense to carry out the work at the same time.
Certainly now seems like an excellent time to make any significant changes you want.

Think hard about where to have sockets - it's difficult to have too many, and also about what circuits to have. The items on the list below won't all apply to you, but they are worth thinking about:

• Upstairs sockets
  • Downstairs sockets (or a L/R or front/rear split)
  • Kitchen sockets
  • Circuit for appliances
  • Cooker circuit
  • Non-RCD circuit for F/F
  • Non-RCD circuit for CH boiler
  • Dedicated circuit for hifi
  • Dedicated circuit for IT equipment
  • Upstairs lights
  • Downstairs lights
  • Lighting circuits with switches in the usual places but with 2A/5A round pin sockets at low level.
  • Immersion heater
  • Loft lights
  • Shower
  • Bathroom circuit
  • Alarms
  • Supply for outside lights
  • Supply for garden electrics
  • Supply for shed/garage
Plus any peculiarities brought about by your house layout & construction - e.g. in mine because of solid floors and where the socket circuits run, I have a radial just for a socket in the hall, the doorbell and the porch lights.

RCBOs have come down in price to the point where it's quite realiastic to use them throughout, but if not the CU should have at least 3 sections, 2 on RCDs and one not into which you can install a mix of RCBOs and MCBs.

It can be a good idea to put all wiring in conduit for ease of future changes. And if you specify metal conduit for switch drops, or BS 8436 cable it removes the need to have RCDs on lighting circuits (apart from bathrooms).

If you live somewhere where supplies are dodgy in the winter, have the lights, the boiler supply, and a socket in each room wired to a separate CU, or a separate section in a large one, that can be supplied by an emergency generator - lights, heating, TV and a kettle/microwave make life a lot more bearable.

Flood-wiring with Cat 5e, Cat6 or Cat6a cable is worth thinking about. Do not listen to people who tell you that wireless is a perfectly good alternative to wired networks - it isn't.

I wouldn't be asking him to lie as he would be doing the electrical connections aka roses, connection blocks etc, I'd just be doing all the labour work
(With my emphasis:)
FOR DESIGN, CONSTRUCTION, INSPECTION & TESTING
I being the person responsible for the design, construction, inspection & testing of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design, construction, inspection & testing hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2011 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

But of course electricians have always used apprentices - they key thing is that apprentices are under the direct supervision and guidance of the electrician.

Suggest you tell your family member you don't want any corners cut, you will want him to issue an EIC, and notify the work to Building Control, and therefore would he please give you as much direction as he feels he needs to in order to be comfortable in signing the documents.

That's pretty much what I am looking for, not cutting corners, the info you have provided is info which I'm looking for.
And thank you very much for taking your time to respond to my questions.

I was looking at cat5/cat6 installs

Basicly I'm living in a house, renting for the last few years and am currently in the process of buying it

I will be planning a what I need to do and what I want to do book, starting from the loft and ending on the ground floor.

I see it as a project I'd like to do and look to do as much work as possible.
Again thank you for your advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back