Plasterboard to cover artex walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

So I've recently moved into my new property and one bedroom has horrible textured walls.

I know the easy answer is a skim coat, but I cant afford a plasterer and am uneasy on trying it myself for the first time.

The walls are of solid construction in my 1920's midterrace house.

Would the easiest solution be to dot-and-dab plasterboard over the top (which I would be comfortable doing) or as its solid wall maybe even a board of MDF?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Yep, plasterboard over the top, dot n dabbed with a few screws through the dabs into the wall will be fine.

If you get tapered board, you can tap and fill it, so it won't need a skim

False economy, by the time you pay for the plasterboard and all the gubbins it won’t be far off the price of skimming - which will look miles better too.

You’ll still have to either get the boards skimmed or tape and fill all the joints, which requires plastering or dry lining skill to look decent

Sponsored Links
It's worth having a test done
If there's no asbestos and it's just textured paint you may be able to steam it off

It's worth having a test done
If there's no asbestos and it's just textured paint you may be able to steam it off
steam it off and end up with crap walls , which was probably why it was artexed in the first place.
have you had a price to skim it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back