Renovating a wooden work surface in kitchen.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wooden work surface in kitchen has mould stains from water splashes from kitchen sink. I was thinking about sanding it down to remove stains and then treat it with varnish of some type, which would need to be water resistant, heat resistant and safe for contact with food. Any suggestions for suitable products please?

Sponsored Links
It's unlikely that you'll get the mould out, but you'll mitigate the stains. Use Osmo top oil afterwards. You won't get anything heat resistant, so get a trivet.

I am told you can bleach oak lighter if it's darkened with stains - not tested by myself but I'm assured it works.

Perhaps test on an inconspicuous area first...

Sponsored Links
Could try a mould removal product, have used some on a wall and it took the marks away. Definitely recommend osmo top oil and use the osmo water protection stuff first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back