Renovating existing UPVC double glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into our house last year. We've noticed some issues with the double glazed UPVC windows at the front of the house.

- firstly - crazy whistling noises when it's windy. It's so loud we've had several night with little sleep.
- then - general condition of the plastic sills and trip. There's lots of movement in these when I press on them - and all the sealant is split.

So I want to try and overhaul - can't really afford to replace. I plan to try and remove all the plastic trims and sills and see what kind of gaps are underneath - and try to fill these with mortar/filler where I can.

Can I then refinish them in wood rather than plastic trim? Anything I should be careful with here?

Then I think I want to remove/reseal with good quality sealant inside and out. These are first floor windows - can I remove the glass to help me seal the outside? Or is a tall ladder the only option?

Any comments, advice, or sources of further info greatly appreciated.
Keith

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'm only a DIY'er, but have had the same sort of problems with my windows.
firstly - crazy whistling noises when it's windy. It's so loud we've had several night with little sleep.
I have had a similar issue, after replacing all the rubber seals, I'd thought I'd cracked it - outside noise was negligible.
Then the wind came!
In my case, some sealant between the window and render had failed - the flapping sealant acted as a reed, causing a whistle that resonated within the void surrounding the window frame!

and see what kind of gaps are underneath - and try to fill these with mortar/filler where I can.
Low expansion expanding foam is a very useful material to fill the gaps; stopping draughts, helping to improve thermal performance and glueing everything in place!

Then I think I want to remove/reseal with good quality sealant inside and out. These are first floor windows - can I remove the glass to help me seal the outside? Or is a tall ladder the only option?
It can be simple enough to remove the sealed units, and this is what I have done to fix my windows. However, it may depend on your glazing. If you have external beading, this can be tricky!
There are plenty of videos online that can help you. Example here:

If you can post a photo, we may be able to help you along the way. Good luck :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back